So I normally leave all the beauty advice to my friend Kimmy at The Plastic Diaries… one of the great beauty blogs. Over the past few months I’ve had a few friends asking me for my personal skin-saving advice, so just thought I’d quickly share my TOP FIVES:
My Top Five Skin PRODUCTS:
1) SKii Range but especially the Facial Treatment Essence. This is my number one product-recommendation to anyone who asks me anything about my skin. I use this water-like product twice daily (before moisturiser) and it’s just exceptional. It doesn’t smell particularly lovely but you can feel it working. It calms any redness, smoothes, hydrates and generally just keeps skin supple and youthful (you may have heard the story of the special ingredient Pitera – it might be advertising speak but 5 years later, I’m still hooked based on personal experience not Cate Blanchett’s ambassador role for this brand – this is still my #1.) This product is not cheap, but if you’re going to do one thing well, let it be this one.
2) Kiehl’s Powerful Line Reducing Concentrate. This is a new one for me but I can already tell it will be a staple in my bathroom for a very long time. It’s an NYC brand that I just tried while travelling in Europe… beautiful, natural product from botanicals. I can see why it’s Kiehl’s #1 best-selling line. It feels sensational going on and actually, really seems to work.
3) Avene Thermal Spring Water Mist. This little can is nothing but 100% pure spring water. Sounds simple enough (why wouldn’t you just pour your Mt. Franklin on your face?) BUT the mist-amazingness makes this product rock. I originally tried it after the eyebrow threading lady used it on me, to calm my skin post-treatment, but now I keep an Avene can at my desk, in my bathroom, in my car… and a mini can in my handbag, always. Great for an afternoon pick-me-up, or a make-up refresh after-work (pre dinner)… – the mini one particularly is a life saver on a long-haul flight. Use whenever. Wherever. Addictive. Cheap as chips. Available at chemists and your Priceline/Chemist Warehouse type of places.
4) Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation. I first tried this after asking my professional makeup artist Rachael what the best foundation was… and she said this. It glides on beautifully and evenly – and is one of the most realistic skin-like colours I’ve ever seen in a foundation. Stays all day and you only need one pump so lasts months and months, even if you use it daily. Apply with fingertips.
5) Shiseido 30+ Lightweight Sunscreen. Really the only sunscreen I like on my face because it doesn’t grease-up and is light enough to put foundation over (if you’re going to be outside all day). Lasts forever as you only need a dab.
I try and buy most products while OS based on our ridiculous Australian prices, but failing that a visit to StrawberryNet usually sees the best prices (plus usually comes with samples and gifts).
My Top Five Skin Saving RECCOMMENDATIONS:
Sleep on a 100% Silk Pillowcase like this one from Slip. Not satin, but 100% silk. We started using these a year ago and the results have been truly amazing (those persistent diagonal forehead-sleep-lines are now non-existent and, for me, my hair is far less “bed head”). Silk means you also clearly see when you need to wash your pillowcase, so you tend to roll them over more frequently, which in turn is also better for your skin.
Oil Pull – You may have heard of it, if not read about Oil Pulling here. I’ve been doing this for about a year and it definitely settles any skin irritations and just seems to cause a general evenness. It’s super-easy and results in bright white teeth too. I do five minutes a day in the shower.
Drink the juice of one freshly squeezed lemon, first thing in the morning after rolling out of bed. I do this for a bunch of reasons, mainly to kick start my insides – but I’ve noticed my skin is brighter since starting this process a few months back.
Yoga. Especially Hot Yoga (Bikram). There’s no doubt about this behavior being one of the single great supporters of good skin. There are a couple of postures where the blood all rushes to your face, and you can just feel that goodness happening. #Namaskin.
Finally, one your mumma probably already told you but it’s the most important of all: Never ever ever ever go to sleep with makeup on. Ever. Bar none (not even one night). I know, when you’ve had one too many drinks and the cheeseburger wrapper is on the floor… you might forget, but you’re never ever too pissy to take your makeup off. Keep an emergency stash of wipes by your bedside just in case (the ones where they moisturise as well so you don’t need to wash off).
Last but never least… smile. Skin just loves a smile.